Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tiong Bahru Challenge 2011

Leave a Comment

Tiong Bahru Challenge 2011 is a race of its own kind. Comprising of a 8km run with a 30-storey climb, it challenges both the fast and slow twitch muscles of the 800 plus enthusiastic runners who gathered to attempt this unique race combination or loyal runners attracted back for a greater challenge. 
This is what you get! Nice Bib!
Collection was brisk at Tiong Bahru Plaza and for 15 dollars, the lack of a timing device was not unjustifiable yet it still kind of disappoint me. What disappoint me further was the lack of a finisher medal for this unique race could be kept as a memory in a form of a medal for conquering it. Well, they did compensate it with a finisher certificate.
One of the better route maps you see these days
Back for their third year, an additional 3km of running route into the newly upgraded Tanglin Park Connector along Alexandra Canal heighten the difficulty. The crossing of the four overhead bridges along the route did not make it any easy for the runners but the killer segment will still no doubt be the 30 storeys up block 4B after the 8km road run.
The run ends and the climb is gonna start!
The many volunteers stationed along the route were very encouraging and they really made the run more enjoyable. Water points was very sufficient and evenly distributed along the route. But there was no distance marker to help me in pacing. Distance marker is usually very important to me as they are motivational boards to help me complete runs.
Blk 4B - The 30-storey block
Only the timing of the winners were recorded and the only scene you get to witness upon reaching
Now to the killer segment - the 30 storeys. I totally underestimated the stairs climbing. This is the first time I took part in any climbing event and the 8km run took away quite a bit of my strength. I could still run up the first 10 flights of stairs initially but the gasping for air and mental weakening starts at the 10th floor and I could basically just walk my way up to the top floor. I was actually glad I did not end up knocking on any random door to rest my leg on their sofa.
I was waiting behind for my chance to shoot down the cups!
I basically took the lift down upon reaching the top and gave myself a 100 plus and banana treat. After sufficient resting and breath catching, I collected my finisher certificate and my free towel before trying out the four mini game counters set up beside the stage. Upon completing any station entitles one to win a mini fan (Batteries not included).

Unlike many other races, many participants stayed for the prize presentation and the lucky draw which was a highlight in my opinion as there were 30 prizes to be won.

Ask me if I will be joining this event again, I would most likely be back and hopefully there will be a medal at the end the next time.
Sylvia finished strong for the event! Well done!
United Runners conquered another race!
This race is proudly brought to you by the following sponsors and organizers

0 comments:

Post a Comment